Woodlands People and Events with Missy Herndon August 2011
As the Save the Dates and invites for fall events flood our mailboxes, take a moment to savor the beauty of this beautiful August day. Check out a new restaurant, a concert in the park, a new splash pad or just have one more last summer outdoor gathering. We are blessed to call The Woodlands our hometown with wonderful, caring neighbors. Celebrate the blessing that is today! While you are enjoying the final weeks of summer, look for me, so you too can be “Scene in The Woodlands.”
For more information on upcoming events check out The Woodlands Convention Center and Visitors Bureau, www.thewoodlandscvb.com and The Township, www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov. Want to see your upcoming event featured in an upcoming column? Please send me dates and details at email@example.com.
PAUL DAMIEN MEYER ART EXHIBIT AND BENEFIT
It was an evening of friendship, support and enormous talent recently at the Carlton Woods Fazio Club when more than 150 guests came out in support of Paul Damien Meyer and The Meyer Family. Paul, a well-known local artist known for his design and immaculate paintings and sculpture was the guest of honor at the Art Exhibit and Benefit. The event showcasing his work was also held to aid in his recovery from near-fatal injuries sustained earlier this year due to a fall from second-story scaffolding while painting. Paul Damien Meyer is the son of The Woodlands custom home builder, Paul Meyer and a member of one of the first 50 families to reside in our area.
1. Stephanie and Paul Damien Meyer
2. (L-R) Alison Henderson and Judy Larson
3. Jennie and Dr. Todd Hughes
4. Hosts of the benefit include: (back row, l-r) Randy Jones, Peter Dennis, Kelly Mahoney, Dr. Vance LeCrone, David Sieracki. (Middle row, l-r) Missy Dennis, Phillip Thomas, Carmina and John Robuck, Amy LeCrone, Jason Mills, Jennifer Sieracki and Cindy Heiser. (Front row), Amy Jones, Coco Mahoney, Gwen McBride, Paul and Stephanie Meyer, Shannon Mills and Alison Henderson
5. (L-R) Jason and Shannon Mills, Dr. Ann Snyder, Amy Jones, Whitney and Derek McCoy, and Melanie Hensley
6. (L-R) Missy Dennis, JoAnne and Troy Johnson
7. Julie and Scott Lyle
8. Jennifer and Dr. John Bulovas
9. Paul Meyer with Melissa and Kyle Stanosheck
JUNIOR LEAGUE ANNUAL DINNER
The Junior League of North Harris and South Montgomery Counties recently held its Annual Dinner at Dosey Doe. Junior League volunteers enjoyed an evening in their best “cowgirl” boots to honor outgoing President Jenni Skipper and incoming President Ali May. In addition to honoring outstanding members for their ongoing commitment to our community, The League presented $14,330 to nine community agencies that service the North Harris and South Montgomery Counties region. More information about the Junior League and their Community Assistance and Emergency Relief Funds Programs for qualifying nonprofit organizations can be found at www.jlnhsmc.org.
10. JL board members (far right, l-r) Carol McHorse, VP of community programs and Jenni Skipper, 2010-2011 JL president, with community grant recipients (l-r): Tamina Community Center, Aldine Youth, Pregnancy Assistance Center North, Interfaith Community Clinic, REACH Unlimited, Interfaith of The Woodlands, Northwest Assistance Ministries, Pregnancy Center of Northwest Houston and The Grief Resource Center
11. (L-R) Past JL President Shannon Mills with Molly Lesmeister and Amy Atnipp
12. Jenni Skipper, JL outgoing president with husband Kendrick
13. JL Active of the Year Award Recipient Laura Miller (second from left) with fellow members, Jennie Shirley, Samantha Urbanek, Jennifer Grigsby and Lauren Temple
14. (L-R) Jena McCrann, Rachel Anderson, Amber Oakley and Rachel Honeyman
XTREME LASHES STUDIO GOLD CARPET DEBUT
Xtreme Lashes Studio recently rolled out the gold carpet for the grand opening of the luxurious Xtreme Lashes Studio on Market Street. President and Founder of Xtreme Lashes Jo Mousselli launched the business six years ago in the gameroom of her home in The Woodlands. Now, the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Finalist has a presence in 28 countries around the world. The Xtreme Makeover Contest winners were revealed along with Women of Xcellence Award winner at the memorable ribbon-cutting ceremony and event.
15. Jo Mousselli, founder of Xtreme lashes
16. (L-R) Xtreme Lashes clients Raissa Babaeye and her daughter Jane Babaeye
17. (L-R) Xtreme Lashes fan and Uni Sushi’s GM Tessa Urbano with Rae Taylor
18. Xtreme Makeover finalist, Tobi Kosanke, with her daughter and husband, Stefan Kosanke
19. Xtreme Lashes aficionado Marlies Fitch Ledbetter (left) with her sister and friends
20. Xtreme Makeover winner, Angela Tillis, with her son, Steven Tillis
21. Terrie Arnett (center) Xtreme Makeover finalist, with her two daughters, Kaylea and Alyssa
HOPE ON THE GREEN GOLF TOURNAMENT
The HOPE On The Green Golf Tournament benefiting The Will Herndon Fund for Juvenile Batten Disease Research and The Beyond Batten Disease Foundation was held at the beautiful 27-hole course at Woodforest Golf Club. Nearly 200 golfers played in the second annual event that included a $1,000,000 Shoot Out and $100,000 Putting Contest sponsored by Woodforest, and two Hole-In-One Contests sponsored by Northside/ Westside Lexus and Conroe Golf Cars. Nearly $80,000 was made at this year’s HOPE Golf Tournament benefiting research to find a treatment for Juvenile Batten Disease, a rare, inherited, neurodegenerative condition affecting my 8-year-old son, Will. This is currently a fatal condition with no cure or treatment, but we have HOPE. Proceeds will go directly to the most promising research to find a treatment to help Will and the hundreds of others affected with this devastating condition. For more information, see www.willherndon.org. On behalf of our family, I thank this community, The Woodlands Lifestyles & Homes publishers Bill and Linda Anderson and the entire Fort Bend Publishing staff for their continued support.
22. HOPE On The Green Golf Tournament winners: The BANDIER Realty Partners Team (l-r) Jim Kelly and Rob Banzhaf with Wayne Herndon, co-founder of The Will Herndon Fund. Not pictured: Trey Halberdier and Tory Hearn
23. HOPE On The Green Golf Tournament winners: TGA of North Houston Premier Junior Golf Team, (l-r) Dave Bergeron, Julie Monzingo, Carlos Zavala, Wayne Herndon (who presented award) and Lloyd Slinkard
24. HOPE on The Green Golf Tournament winners: (l-r) Andrew Young, Graham Holly, Wayne Herndon (who presented award) and Brandon Frankhouser with teammate Melissa Jackson (front)
25. HOPE volunteers Tricha Stilley and Holly Anderson
26. HOPE golfers Yvette and Mike Williams
27. Kathy Croom and Carey Bell
28. (L-R) Nicole Murphy, Audra Simpson and Angie Gibbs
29. Bobbi Jo Miller and Alison Judge