Scene in the Woodlands, Whitney Montgomery December 2015
FOR GALAS, PARTIES, LUNCHEONS:
FOR SCHOOL & STUDENT NEWS AND FOR SCHOOL & STUDENT NEWS
AND OTHER HAPPENINGS:
Let me introduce myself – My name is Whitney Montgomery and I am honored to be your new Social Editor covering the social events in The Woodlands area. I have grown up in The Woodlands since 1980 and my husband and I are blessed to raise our three children in such a wonderful, giving community.
This is absolutely one of my favorite times of the year with all the excitement of the holidays. There are so many fun things to enjoy. Take a break to visit the breathtaking Christmas tree in Market Street, visit Santa in The Woodlands Mall, enjoy the Lighting of the Doves, or spend time making memories at The Ice Rink.
I challenge everyone this holiday season to generously share your time and donations to bless others. There are so many opportunities to give back, and here are just a few examples: adopt a family for Christmas, help stock a food pantry, donate clothes/coats for the women’s shelter, participate in a toy drive, or simply prepare a meal for someone to remind them they are loved.
I am looking forward to what this next year has in store. Do you want to be included in a future “Scene in The Woodlands”? Please contact me as I begin preparing dates for my 2016 calendar. Send the details of your events to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from my family to yours,
Montgomery County Youth Services Annual
Woodlands Celebrity Golf Classic And Gala
Proceeds from this event benefiting Montgomery County Youth Services (MCYS) help provide vital programs that help strengthen families and give children a bridge from challenges today to achievements tomorrow. MCYS is committed to youth and their families through human services and mental health programs. Congratulations on another successful event!
1) (L-R) Ed Jones, EVP Woodforest Natoinal Bank, and Alex Sutton, former MCYS board member and co-president at The Woodlands Development Company
2) 2015 Masquerade Gala Honorees – Patti and Dr Lucian Rivela
3) (L-R) Former NFL player Billy Joe Dupree; Ann Liguori, golf and tennis correspondent for CBS Sports Radio Network; Greg Freede, MCYS board member and golf tournament director
4) (L-R) Nina Rivela, actor Brett Cullen and Carmen Rivela.
Fire And Ice Ball VIP Party
Interfaith of The Woodlands hosted its annual VIP Party for the Celebration of Excellence Gala honoring the 2016 Hometown Heroes. The event was held at Del Friscos with the picturesque Hughes Landing as a beautiful backdrop for the presentation to the four individual and one Corporate honorees. The Fire and Ice Ball Gala was a huge success honoring Heroes’ service to our wonderful community and raising funds for the many community programs and services of Interfaith of The Woodlands.
1) (L-R) Honorary Chairs Penny and Paul Layne with Dr. Ann Snyder
2) Hometown Hero Honoree Mario Coll and wife Sarah
3) (L-R) Missy Herndon, event Co-Chairs DeAnn Guidry, Elvira Cauthen and Amy Young, Shannon Stephenson, Nicole Murphy and Stevi Venable
4) Carla and Keaton McDaniel
5) Todd and Sarah Stephens
6) Hometown Hero Honoree Ally Seder and husband Mike
7) Shannon and Jason Mills
2015 HARAS Cup Event
Haras Cup, the most important working Equitation Championship in the United States, was held locally in October. This amazing three- day event raised $200,000 benefiting Kids’Meal Houston, a charity providing meals for pre-school age children living in poverty. The weekend consisted of the “Horsey Crazy Fashion Show,” an “Equestrian Dream Soiree,” and the Haras Cup Hat Derby. Learn more about Haras Cup and the Kids’ Meal charity at harascup.com or kidsmeals.org.
Photo credit: Fulton Davenport
1) Francisco Rivera, Connie Zubizarreta,
Ana Weber, and Michael Lillelund
2) Horse and rider
3) Ligia Uriarte, winner of the Hat Derby
4) Judy Nichols
5) (L-R) Carmina Zamorano, Juan Pablo
Women Who Rock 3rd Annual Luncheon
Montgomery County United Way held its annual Women Who Rock luncheon on Friday, Nov. 6. The Woodlands Waterway Marriott was rocking with hundreds of women (and a few men). This event gathers women’s leadership members to recognize and celebrate some of the most philanthropic and service-oriented women in our community. Together they have raised funds to support the Young Mother’s Daycare Scholarship, which provides an opportunity for a young woman to further her post-secondary education while her child is being cared for in a safe and quality environment. For more information, contact Nicole Gauthier at email@example.com.
1) (L-R) Baranetta Andrews, Mary Lou Langone, Lisa Haley, Beth Bailey, Christine Thoms-Knox, and Gentry Brann
2) (L-R) Peg Welbes, Mo Walker, Jeanne Toth, Gennifer Kelly, Nelda Blair, Vicki Hitzges, Rhetta Bobo, Julie Martineau
3) (L-R) Carol Gooch, Tammy McRae, Stella Alvarado, Gennifer Kelly, Robin Fielder, Stephanne Davenport
4) (L-R) Melissa Young, Bev Earl, Julie Martineau