Scene in the Woodlands, Whitney Montgomery September 2016
FOR GALAS, PARTIES, LUNCHEONS:
FOR SCHOOL & STUDENT NEWS | FOR SCHOOL / STUDENT NEWS & OTHER HAPPENINGS:
It is back to school time!! Summer is over and we are back to the routine of school, extracurricular activities and regular work schedules. The next few months are some of my favorites because of all the galas, fundraisers, and social events. I absolutely love my “job” that I have been blessed with through this column. The opportunity I have been given to attend events, meet new people, make new friends, and bring awareness to charities all around Montgomery County is truly a dream come true for me.
Generosity is seriously the underlying theme in our community. I love how much we all support each other. I want to say thank you to everyone who supported my journey to the Mrs. International pageant. As I traveled to Jacksonville to represent my platform and my community, I realized just how lucky I was. I shared a week and a stage with 63 women from all around the world. As women, we were there to compete, but we used the opportunity to empower one another. I genuinely felt honored to share with them about my hometown and the amount of charitable events and community service that takes place here.
I am excited to be spending more time out in the community and I hope you too can be “Scene in the Woodlands.” If you would like to send photos to be featured in the column, please do not reduce them for email; send them Original size. Forward all high resolution photos along with the names of all people in the photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are a few upcoming events that you will not want to miss!
Save The Date!
Sept. 10: The 8th Annual HOPE Under the Stars benefitting The Will Herndon Research Fund and Beyond Batten Disease Foundation; The Woodlands Waterway Marriot Hotel and Convention Center, willherndon.org
Sept. 17: Denim and Diamonds Gala benefitting Panther Creek Inspiration Ranch; The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel and Convention Center, pciranch.org
Sept. 29: Wine, Women and Shoes Event benefitting The Breast Cancer Charities of America; The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel and Convention Center, winewomenandshoes.com
Oct. 1: The Woodlands Celebration of Excellence honoring the Hometown Heroes benefitting Interfaith of The Woodlands; The Woodlands Waterway Marriott and Convention Center,woodlandsinterfaith.org
Interfaith Of The Woodlands Directory Unveiling
The community celebrated the unveiling and the delivery of the 42nd annual award-winning Interfaith of The Woodlands Community & Business Directory! More than 55,000 directories were delivered throughout August to local residents and area businesses. The entire Directory is also available for download at woodlandsdirectory.com or can be accessed online through The Woodlands Directory App on smartphones.
1) Ann Ryder,Allisanne Schweiker, Derrick Bryant ,Lindy Johnson
2) Derrick Bryant, Missy Herndon, Shannon Mills
3) Chuck and Barb Kindsvatter have been organizing residential delivery for close to 10 years and are joined by community volunteers.
4) Sarah and Matt Mundy and Family, Missy Herndon, Debra Sukin, Dr. Daniel Hannon, Shannon Mills, Alex Sutton, Ray Sanders, and George Lindhal
5) Interfaith Communications and Publications staff
6) Wonderful volunteers delivering Interfaith of The Woodlands Community and Business Directory to local businesses.
Night Of Superstars
Greg Johnson, founder of “Night of Superstars,” a charity event to support special needs children, recently kicked off the upcoming Oscars- themed gala at Top Golf in Spring. Johnson talked about the “Night Of Superstars” event that will take place on September 10 and introduced three superstars: Ayani Kenebrew, Macy Ahart and Grant Manier. Manier, who is also a renowned and awarded autistic artist, showcased his exclusive art at the event.
Night of Superstars is an “Oscar-like” red-carpet charity event that draws local celebrities, high-profile personalities, media and hundreds of guests! This celebration is to honor the accomplishments of 20 amazing children, students and young adults in their respective geographical areas who are affected by varying types of disabling conditions, yet reach far beyond their adversities and excel in areas such as academics, athletics, extracurricular activities, the arts, and community service.
To learn more, visit nightofsuperstars.org.
1) Honored Superstars -Macy Ahart, Grant Manier, and Ayani Kenebrew
2) Seth Keiffer, featured musician
3) Dan White, Jeff Syptak, Haley Ahart Keiffer, Macy Ahart, and Cris Garthe
4) Grant Manier displaying his artwork
5) Gina McClellan and Erika Kenebrew
6) (front) Cris Garthe and Julie Manier (back) Greg Johnson and Romeo Udo
7) Amy Fish, Steve Levine, Barbara Levine, and Jared Jinkerson
Throwdown Texas Burger Fest
Kickin’ Events & Promotions hosted the inaugural Throwdown Texas Burger Fest at Town Green Park in The Woodlands. This event benefitted the Montgomery County Food Bank and provided over 13,000 meals to families in our community.
Dozens of local restaurants, eateries, and burger joints set up shop at the Park and filled the air with the scintillating scents of burgers on the grill while live music played. The highlight was a little competition which included celebrity chef judges like Cleverly Stone of FOX 26 and Phaedra Cook from Houston Press and bragging rights for the “Best Burger in Town.”
The Grand Prize winner was Black Garlic from Bernie’s Backyard and the Best Presentation went to 5 Ate Café inside InSPIRE Rock. The People’s Choice was Grub Burger Bar.
For more information on next year’s event please visit throwdowntx.com.
1) Chris Evans, Scott Berryman, Amanda Riddle, John Cantarella, and Ty Furrh
2) Michael Briggs and Linda Dama
3) Jeremy Williams, CFO of Fireteam apparel company
4) Gerald Irons and Mitzi Fox
5) Kerry Stessell, Jason Franklin, Jennifer Bruse, Kristin Blanchard, and Lacy Gigout
6) Debra Winterrow and Bonnie Poe with American Red Cross
Light The Night Kickoff Luncheon
The Light the Night Kickoff luncheon was recently held at the Woodlands Waterway Marriott to support the upcoming Light the Night Walk in our community. The Walk funds life-saving research and support for people battling cancer. Friends, families and co-workers form fundraising teams to help fund cures for blood cancers. These efforts culminate in an inspirational, memorable evening walk where participants carry illuminated lanterns: white for survivors, red for support and gold in memory of a lost loved one. Festivities include live music, food, ceremonies and family fun followed by a leisurely two-mile walk.
Please join them on Sunday, Oct. 16, at 5:30 p.m. at Market Street -The Woodlands. Visit lightthenight.org/txg for more information.
1) Honored Hero Crew Cones with his parents, Erin and Kyle Cones
2) Corporate Walk Chair Nick Loporcaro
3) Erin Cones shares her family’s story as Crew Cones and Kyle Cones look on
4) Emcee Melissa Wilson introduces Light The Night Director Peggy Stephens
5) Kathryn Hosford, Adria Keeney and her daughter Cami, representing Team Ellie Strong
6) Misty Clow and her daughters Kennedy and Addison
7) Guests arriving for the Light the Night luncheon
8) Honored Hero Ellie Fetner shares her story
Photo Credit: Gina Gallagher Photography
Scene in the Woodlands, Whitney Montgomery September 2016