- 1 Large Oblong Seeded Red Watermelon
- Kitchen Knife & Paring Knife
- 1 Yellow Watermelon
- Cutting Board
- 1 Honeydew Melon
- Green Dry Erase Marker
- Daikon Radish
- Large Bowl & Spoon
- Large Ice Cream Scoop
- Watermelon Seeds
- Melon Baller
- Black Licorice Rope
- Dowels & Toothpicks
- Diced Melons
- Small Round Cutters
1. Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
2. On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off ¼”-½” from the yellow under side to provide a sturdy base. Roll ¼ turn to allow you to cut the watermelon in half lengthwise, so you have one half with the sturdy bottom and the top to use for watermelon cubes.
3. Use the large ice cream scoop to scoop out a large red ball to create the Red Bird from the center. Hollow out the top half of the watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving the watermelon pieces to dice up for blocks for decorating. Cut a rectangle out of the base section, leaving a flat surface on each side of the middle. Reserve a small piece of the outer green top half for the pig noses.
4. Cut the yellow watermelon in half and use the large ice cream scoop to scoop out a large yellow ball to create the Yellow Bird. Cut a small section off each side of the yellow watermelon ball to make it appear more triangular.Use the rest of the yellow watermelon to cut up for diced watermelon around your carving.
5. Cut the honeydew in half and create 8-12 melon balls using the melon baller for the Pigs. Dice or use the melon baller for rest of the fruit to serve around your carving.
6. Use thin slices of the Daikon radish to make the white belly & eyes for the two Birds, cheeks for the Pigs. Use the green watermelon rind for the pigs’ noses & watermelon seeds for the eyes for the pigs. Trim licorice for the pig smiles. Attach everything with toothpicks (cut or snapped in half). Use the carrot tip for the birds slanted beaks
7. Attach the slingshot to one end of the base of the watermelon and secure one of the large Birds with a pencil-sized dowel so it appears it is being launched out of the slingshot. Secure the other Bird next to the slingshot. On the other side of the base secure the Pigs on watermelon cubes that resemble the stacked up blocks. Fill the center with ready to eat cut melon and warn guests not to eat the decorations
***Warning, the decorations on this are not to be eaten, they contain toothpicks.